The Owl and The Pussy Cat

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea In a beautiful 'red and white'(!) boat, They took some honey, and plenty of money, Wrapped up in a five pound note. The Owl looked up to the stars above, And sang to a small guitar, 'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love, What a beautiful Pussy you are, You are, You are!What a beautiful Pussy you are!'


Edward Lear











Sunday 24 July 2011

Cake decorating and a peg bag

This week was Vince's birthday, so I made him a cake.
It didn't go quite as planned. I realised too late that I didn't have quite enough icing sugar for the decorations. So I bulked it out with a bit of ordinary sugar. Of course the icing wouldn't go through the small nozzle I had, the bag burst and chocolate icing went everywhere. I scooped it up and scraped it into another bag and tried with the only other nozzle I have .........which is huge.
I'd love to say my five year old helped me with this, but I don't have one, and I just wondered if I'd be eligible for the "worst icing done by a grownup" award?

I stuck candles all round the edges and I'm pleased to report that he loved it!

Moving swiftly on, today I made myself a peg bag. So here are the in progress shots, this is like a 'tutorial' thing in case any of you two who read my blog have a burning desire to make a peg bag and don't know how to do it!

Lay paper pattern onto material. I'm using the hanger and shape from an old peg bag, but a child's clothes hanger would do.

  Oh yes...lay the pattern on the wrong side of the material, whoops

 pin down pattern and sew through two pieces of material around the edges of the paper
 Then un-pick stitching and do it all again with right sides of BOTH bits of material together whoops (don't worry I don't make any more mistakes..)
 Ahem, that's better...cut out hole
 zig zag raw edges...that's in case Ren is reading or she'll tell me off.... and wrap bias binding round the edges of the hole. Again I salvaged this from the old peg bag, I guess you could just zig zag the edges of the hole.
 All done, good grief I even ironed it, not sure what came over me.
 back view, full of pegs, hanging on the washing line, I'm really pleased with it
 Front view. I particularly love it because Vince gave me these two bits of material for my birthday last year, what a great present, and I've got some left to make something else one day.

1 comment:

  1. Just what I needed as my peg-bag is a plastic bag.
    Lovely cake.
    Bx

    ReplyDelete