The Owl and The Pussy Cat

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea In a beautiful 'red and white'(!) boat, They took some honey, and plenty of money, Wrapped up in a five pound note. The Owl looked up to the stars above, And sang to a small guitar, 'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love, What a beautiful Pussy you are, You are, You are!What a beautiful Pussy you are!'


Edward Lear











Tuesday 2 August 2011

Lots of sewing

So, lots of exciting things been happening, where do I start?
Vince was away for a whole day and evening last week, so I took the opportunity to make a terrible mess in the sitting room


assisted by the cat of course
 I pretty well tipped most of the contents of my textile collection on the floor and had a bit of a sewing spree. I've always wanted a 'Welcome' banner over the door. You can see the beginnings in the above picture, and it currently looks like this


do you like the toes..for a sense of scale?!
 It's a bit dull at the moment, needs more flowers/colour somewhere...into the 'Work In Progress' box with it...
I hung up my 'handmade books' banner to think about it

Hmm, I think I'll put scalloped trim on it...but I didn't get any further than this...more W.I.P.
And in case you think I didn't get anything finished I finally put the zip in the patchwork skirt, which was easier than I thought AND I replaced the broken zip in Vince's fleece jacket with a 'reclaimed' one from another fleece which I picked up cheap and didn't like much.
I think I'll put zips in more things now...thank you again Ren for nagging me!,


fleece and skirt with new zips

Then I went completely mad and made a hat. I'm not a great hat wearer and I don't know what came over me, I just saw the pattern in an old magazine and I was away


I crazy patchworked the pattern pieces with the sew...


...and flip, technique. This is the band of the hat


Top and band ready to sew together

It's a bit 'tall' at this stage!


brim ready to sew on

lined and finished the following day


and it's reversible too!

As I say, I'm not much of a hat wearer, I'll probably give it to someone who likes it one day. If anyone would like the pattern and instructions I could share them with you sometime. Might have to put them in the snail mail as I 'm not sure my technological skills are up to putting that sort of thing on 'tinternet yet.
Last week we had two students staying who were taking part in 'Dartmoor Arts' week,
....and my mum has lent me a spinning wheel
....and I'm working on a website for Vince with images of all the lovely carpentry and building work he does..
so much to tell you about..
and finally....
 I think I may be suffering from a little bit of 'caravan envy', look at this

I belongs to Ren and family..wow it makes ours look a bit dull
Go here to see them transforming it..
http://fairysteps.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment