The Owl and The Pussy Cat

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea In a beautiful 'red and white'(!) boat, They took some honey, and plenty of money, Wrapped up in a five pound note. The Owl looked up to the stars above, And sang to a small guitar, 'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love, What a beautiful Pussy you are, You are, You are!What a beautiful Pussy you are!'


Edward Lear











Friday 8 February 2013

Parsnips and Books


How about this for an impressive parsnip?
Harvesting parsnips is always a surprise, all you can see on the surface are little green bits, underneath might be tiny scrawny things (lots of mine are!), or HUGE like this one..
..that's only a teaspoon, in case you're wondering!?..

We went over to my parents last week, and every winter she puts this little book on display, then puts it away in the spring. It's titled 'Things to enjoy in winter'.



It's beautiful.
What's particularly amazing is that I made it, many years ago. I made several, about 4 or 5 I think, and gave them to people as Christmas presents, they were a fairly major labour of love, I hope some of the other people appreciate them as much as my mum does!

3 comments:

  1. Thats pride in her own special creation x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That is one huge parsnip and also I was amazed when I saw this book as my dear friend (who used to live in the New Forest) makes books just like this and I thought she was the only one. She called them lantern books. This one is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ren and Acorn Cabinet, I've called them theatre books, but lantern books is a lovely name for them.

    ReplyDelete