The Owl and The Pussy Cat

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea In a beautiful 'red and white'(!) boat, They took some honey, and plenty of money, Wrapped up in a five pound note. The Owl looked up to the stars above, And sang to a small guitar, 'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love, What a beautiful Pussy you are, You are, You are!What a beautiful Pussy you are!'


Edward Lear











Tuesday 27 November 2012

A resumee of book stuff past and present

The long winter evenings are here and I seem to be getting back into book stuff and general creative stuff again. I taught a few workshops this summer, so in no particular order here are some pictures from the workshops.

A two hour multi-section workshop.
Two hours was a bit of a rush, they were quite basic!


Pretty covers

More pretty covers on a one day workshop

Someone used old sketchbook pages as covers.
A lovely idea I later stole for this years diary endpapers...!
 

Someone making a large watercolour book on a workshop
(oh yes...and biscuits!)


I've been enjoying getting into some 'art journalling' stuff inspired by blogs and such like on the web, but haven't taken any pictures of those yet. I've also made next years diary, which includes a fold-out paint palette, a holder for a waterbrush, and a pocket for some crayons or slim felt pens, so it's an all-in one diary/sketchbook/art materials kit!
Palette folded down, waterbrush holder on right
Bottom half of pens showing

Paint palette and mixing palette folded out ready for use
I've also pre-decorated a lot of the pages this year

I used a page from an old atlas on the cover.
This is the Atlantic where we'll be on our boat one day!
That's a real working compass too, from my school days.

Someone was so impressed with this that they commissioned one as a present, and I have a photo album commission in the pipeline. I've not had good experiences with commissions in the past so I try to avoid them, (a bit like the book repairs, see last winter!), but I succumb when friends ask me! And it's certainly nice to have something to occupy me when it rains for days on end and gardening is out of the question.
Watercolour paper, paint palette and waterbrush

I've got two workshops and a talk booked for the spring and another workshop in the pipeline, AND I sold a book through my website which was a bit of a shock! As a result of all this activity I'm all enthusiastic about books again, although I'm mostly enthusiastic about teaching, and I'm mostly making for fun rather than selling.
Here are a few of the fun books I've made recently as ideas for workshops. The beading is pretty fiddley, but I'm pleased with the results

Longstitch books with beaded spines
(click on image for a larger view)

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nina

    Just to let you know you have won the book Alternative Art Journals. Please get in touch and let me know your address and I'll pop it in the post for you. Congrats and I hope you enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete