The Owl and The Pussy Cat

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea In a beautiful 'red and white'(!) boat, They took some honey, and plenty of money, Wrapped up in a five pound note. The Owl looked up to the stars above, And sang to a small guitar, 'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love, What a beautiful Pussy you are, You are, You are!What a beautiful Pussy you are!'


Edward Lear











Tuesday 28 February 2012

Flag day

A few weeks ago I wandered into a hall in the local village that was advertising flag making workshops. Now, I've been planning to make some kind of flag things for my workshops at buddhafield festival, so I went in to see what they were up to. They were all beavering away making flags out of old tents! to display around the village during various festivals. So, I thought I'd have a go as it might give me some ideas about making some for myself. So I went off and came up with an idea for a design based on flowers (hey-I'm a gardener!), but also using the shapes of the railings with baskets that line the high street. Here's my design taking shape.

 The basket/railing shape stitched in place
 and then cut out. It's a clever technique as it's basically applique, but it means that the design can be seen from both sides, and I love that they are made from old tents, what a great idea!
 Here are a couple of other people working on theirs
 This one is to go outside the church

And here is my flag flying

 The post office
 The deli and butchers
 the mini 'industrial' estate on the edge of town
 ...and a general view of the high street, there are tons more flags than you can see here. What a fab display it is and I feel really proud to have been part of it.

2 comments:

  1. A red letter day! A post by Nina!
    (The last picture hasn't appeared, but I'll try and access the blog again and maybe it will.)

    ReplyDelete